This commitment requires Sri Lanka to ensure compliance with UNCAC. Compliance status of the mandatory provisions are as follows:
Article 38 - Cooperation between national authorities
No compliance update present
Take measures to encourage cooperation between, on the one hand, its public authorities, as well as its public officials, and, on the other hand, its authorities responsible for investigating and prosecuting criminal offences.
Commission to Investigate Allegations of Bribery or Corruption (CIABOC), Ministry of Justice, Public Service Commission
• As per section 4 of the CIABOC Act No 19 of 1994, CIABOC can receive a communication outlying an allegation of an offence under the Bribery Act No. 11 of 1954 or the Declaration of Assets and Liabilities Law by any person.
• Section 5 (e) and (f) (specifically) and Section 5(a), (b) and (c) (generally) of the Commission to Investigate Allegations of Bribery and Corruption Act No 19 of 1994 detail the investigative powers of CIABOC that allows them to request information.
• Chapter XLVIII Clause 27 of the Establishments Code notes that if the Public Service Disciplinary Department observes prima facie evidence of bribery or corruption they must report this to CIABOC.
• The Country Review Report under First Review Cycle refers to a circular that the Police Department follows that mandates them to report any evidence of corruption received whilst investigating criminal cases to CIABOC.
• Whilst upon request the authorities shall provide relevant information, it is not clear whether other public agencies can take the initiative to provide evidence of corruption to the Commission
Link to Commission to Investigate Allegations of Bribery or Corruption Act https://www.ciaboc.gov.lk/images/Publications/Commission_Act_english.pdf
Link to Bribery Act https://www.ciaboc.gov.lk/images/Publications/Bribery_Act_english.pdf
Declaration of Assets and Liabilities Law https://www.ciaboc.gov.lk/images/pdf/acts/Declaration_of_Assets_and_Liabilities.pdf
Link to Establishment Code http://www.pubad.gov.lk/web/images/stories/ecode/ecode(s).pdf
Link to the Country Review Report of Sri Lanka for the First Review Cycle 2012-2013 http://www.unodc.org/documents/treaties/UNCAC/CountryVisitFinalReports/2016_04_11_Sri_Lanka_Final_Country_Report.pdf