This commitment requires Sri Lanka to ensure compliance with UNCAC. Compliance status of the mandatory provisions are as follows:
Article 11 - Measures relating to the judiciary and prosecution services
No compliance update present
Article 11. 1 Bearing in mind the independence of the judiciary and its crucial role in combating corruption, take measures to strengthen integrity and to prevent opportunities for corruption among members of the judiciary.
Judicial Service Commission, Ministry of Justice
• The Constitution Chapter XV upholds the independence of the judiciary. According to article 111(C) interference with the judiciary is a punishable offence.
• Judges of the Supreme Court and the Court of Appeal are appointed by the President with the approval of the Constitutional Council. They can only be removed by an order of the President with the support of the majority of the Parliament for reasons of misbehavior or incapacity.
• Judges of the High Court are appointed by the President on the recommendation of the Judicial Service Commission (JSC) (art. 111 Constitution).
• The JSC is set up under the 19th Amendment to the Constitution and is responsible over the appointment, transfer, dismissal and disciplinary control of judicial officers in the lower courts and High Courts.
• Salaries and pensions of the judges from Supreme Court and Appeal Court cannot be reduced during their tenure.
• Judges do not have absolute immunity except for judicial immunity for judicial actions performed in good faith.
• There are no codes of conduct for judges.
• The JSC Rules and JSC circulars, the Establishment Code, the Supreme Court Rules and the Court of Appeal Rules are applicable in this regard.
• A code of conduct for judges is being developed.
• Trainings for judges are conducted by Judicial Service Commission through the Judges Institute.
Link to the Constitution http://www.parliament.lk/files/pdf/constitution.pdf
Link to Judicial Service Commission http://www.jsc.gov.lk/
Link to Establishment Code http://www.pubad.gov.lk/web/images/stories/ecode/ecode(s).pdf
Link to the Country Review Report under Second Review Cycle http://www.unodc.org/documents/treaties/UNCAC/CountryVisitFinalReports/2018_09_03_Sri_Lanka_Final_Country_Report.pdf